[Harp-L] Retubing the Meteor: Taming the gnarly beast

I took my black bag over to Jimmy Day's at his request for a house call:
seems his new Meteor was feeding back and hard to rein in (stock tubed in
the phase inverter and preamp positions with all EH 12AX7s).  A few preamp
tube swaps tamed the beast very nicely: it breaks up great and zero
feedback.  Non-intuitive circuit design (for a guy spoiled by a Sonny
Junior 1) and a midrange pot that demands never to be turned above 2, but
great sound and plenty loud and chunky for Jimmy's fine Chrom and diatonic
work.  Any other Meteor owners having problems might try this preamp tube
combo (we went through many before arriving at this): Left to right, facing
from rear: 12AY7 (or 12AY7 alternate), 12AU7, 12AU7 (we used NOS tube
alternative 5814).
Everything I learned about tube swaps came from Gary O/Sonny Junior: thanks
for sharing your knowledge generously with your customers, and I remain a
loyal one!)
Doctor Zig

http://mail2web.com/ .