[Harp-L] Re: Covering horn parts (kind of a gear post)

Hurricane sez :

I've been a maniac at playing horn parts in second ( cross harp as we used to called since I don't know exactly when :) position since the 60's and find its a snap to do with out any hitches over all .

When I started to first play a harp in 1954 I was dedicated to playing stuff from Louie Armstrongs collection of songs I was able to hear . Also , where I lived in the downtown section ( we're talking Mayberry RFD at the time in size for my little humble town back in 1954 ) our home had a alley behind it and directly across it from my  backyard was a bar that featured live " Mariachi " bands that varied in size from 6 to 12 pieces and always there was a horn section and I also cop'd licks on my harps to copy those fantastic horn players of Mariachi music <--<<- also in second position .

For those not not in the " know " of just how beautiful Mariachi bands are to listen to I sugest a go at listen . When I live 7 years on The " Big Island" Hawaii I would frecuently play music videos of that kind of music al " high gain " and just dig on it as I either just listened or picked up a harp to play along with , many of the local Hawaiians near my homw thought it was so nice and pretty , many thinking it was an Italian opera I was playing :)

This URL is an example of a small Mariachi band

< http://www.mariachi.org/sa97_cob_violins.jpg >

and a larger band looks :

< http://www.mariachi.org/3marame.jpg >

Here's a site with a history of this type of music for you horn section lovers out there ( and you know who you are :)

< http://www.mariachi.org/history.html >

My most recent experiments was playing this type of " Ranchera " music Marichis play was with a well known female singer in one :

" Carmen Cristina Moreno "

< http://www.fresnoalliance.com/home/images/Carmen.jpg >

Here parents were really famous internationally with their song writings and performances , Carmen carries on a fine tradition perform the classic standards of Mexico's and California's contributiinbs to Mexican music . When I performed with her we did trqadional Mexican songs and traditional American cowboy songs of the  turn of the 19th to the 20th century , it was a gas working with her the two years we colaborated . I really felt that " ole magic " when we played together .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramón

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx