Re: [Harp-L] Making cheap harps good

Paul Bowering wrote:
> Were a customizer to work on a cheap harp would the
> end product be as good as anything else. In other
> words, is there something inherently 'cheap' in lower
> end harps?

Of course, you can improve the performance of a bad harp, but there
are limits to how much good effect you can have.  I frequently use
the plates of cheap harmonicas (Hohner Bluesbands and Pocket Pals)
when I'm demonstrating techniques like embossing and setting reed
curvature, and I've noticed that the edges of the reed slots on
these harps are very rough.  Embossing them aggressively creates
havoc with trying to debur them to work with the closer tolerances.
Also, the reeds are not set as accurately at the center of the slot,
which exacerbates this problem.

> 2) Screws - more screws generally seems to make a more
>    airtight harp but there isn't always a
>    correspondence.

Many manufacturers try to make up for cheap production tolerances by
putting a lot of screws in there.  There are several problems with
this.  If the combs are not flat, no number of screws is going to be
enough.  If the screws are not torqued properly the tension will
likely be too high and inconsistent, which leads to leakage
problems.  Self-tapping screws are particularly problematic because
you need excess torque to cut the threads, which means you really
don't know how tight the screws are unless you remove them and
replace them again.  One exception to the rule of more screws = a
more airtight harp is the Suzuki Overdrive, which is one of the most
airtight designs out there, but has only two screws holding the
whole thing together.

> 3) Tuning - is haphazard tuning the reason why Big
>    River harps are significantly less expensive?

I think you have this reversed.  Probably Big River harps less
strictly tuned because they are less expensive, if you follow my
meaning.  I believe that the most experienced tuners and assemblers
in the factory (thus, the highest paid) are probably working on the
most expensive instruments.

> Is that it or is there something about the raw
> materials that would make them less desireable?

Probably the largest expense in manufacturing a harmonica is the
cost of labor.  I believe I saw Fernando write once that all Hohner
harmonica parts are made in Germany, and it is only the assembly
that takes place in other countries.  I'm not sure if this is true
of the Chinese models as well, but it speaks to the weight of labor
costs on the final price of the instrument.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/