Fwd: Re: [Harp-L] bye bye BIRD [birdie was a musical with Ann-Margret]

It's defintely either a 364 or 265 in low C - until he switches to a
regular C for the wail chrosu, then back to the low C.

Sonny Boy also played the 364 in low D, as heard on some of the live
recordings made in Europe during the same period (circa 1963-64). He
was also photographed playing the UK version of the 364 (everything
labeled "Marine Band" in North America was labeled "Vamper" or "Echo
Vamper" or "Echo Super Vamper" in the UK).

Around 1969 John Mayall recorded "I Heard Sonny Boy Blow," a tribute
to SBII clearly modelled on "Bye Bye Bird," where he used a 10-hole in
low F. This was a few months before I heard "Bye Bye Bird" and I was
floored by that low  Blow 1! Ten-holes lower than G were not available
in North Amernca until several yers later, and I remember feeling envy
toward players in the UK who had access to these low keys.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Muck" <tommuck@...> wrote:

> anybody know what kind of harp sonny is using on that tune?? sounds
to low
> be a marine band.

I believe he is using a Hohner 364 or 365 (12-hole and 14-hole Marine
Band)
in the key of C. They go for about $30. I have the 14 hole and it sounds
just like it, and these were available back then.

Tom