[Harp-L] intonation

, TomEHarp wrote:

> all it is is the the 347 are flated a little.
years ago thay were more
> flat.
>
> C D Eb Fb G A Bb   not a half but you get the
picture.

To which Jp Pagan replied:

>am i insane or are you trying to answer your own question?

To which I add, and answering it badly at best, incorrectly if I'm generous and just plain wrong if I'm being blunt.

I gave links and a suggestion for information on this--take the later and read the former.

Notes are in-tune only in accordance with the intonation, temperment or theory being used. Outside of that context, it is meaningless to discuss notes as being "flat" or "sharp". Flat or sharp of what? Without context it is meaningless. Moreover, if a harmonica is (accurately) tuned in a just intonation, the notes are neither sharp nor flat of anything--they are in tune. The may be sharp or flat relative to the same notes in 12TET at the same pitch, but that is relative--it would be as or more accurate to say that the notes in 12TET are sharp or flat of those in the particular intonation in question--more accurate to say that 12TET is out of tune from the context of that harmonica, in fact.

If people actually want to learn about intonation, again I recommend Pat Missin's website, and to further follow some of his links to other intonation sites. If you only want harmonica specific, again, check the archives and especially look for articles by Pat--he is pretty much the most knowledgeable on the issue in the harmonica community. If people don't want to bother with those amazingly easy steps, then I don't know what else to say.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () & Snuffy, too:) `----'