Re: [Harp-L] defective Golden Melody?

In responding to Paul LaBrier's question about a squealing 3-draw, Tim Moyer
wrote:

> First, the problem is with the 3 blow reed, not the draw reed, since it
only
> happens with the bent note, which utlilizes the blow reed.  With the
> note played unbent the ringing doesn't occur, indicating that the
> draw reed itself is fine.

I understand the logic of this, but I question it nevertheless. On the Pat
Missin page Tim referred to, Missin says

"If you are getting this noise when you are drawing a note, then the
offending reed is the draw reed; likewise, if it is happening during a blow
bend or an overblow, then it is the blow reed that is to blame."

Note as well, that Paul did not complain of the 3 blow squealing on its own.

But the simplest most convincing way to test this is by removing the cover
plates and blocking the draw reed with a finger while bending the note. (On
a blow-bend squeal, or overblow squeal, block the blow reed.) If the squeal
is there, you know it's the opposite reed; if it isn't there, you know it's
the reed you're blocking. Whenever I have tested this, I have come to the
same conclusion as Pat Missin: the squeal is on the draw if you are drawing,
on the blow if you are blowing.

John