Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Taylor Hicks

Jonathan Metts writes:

"He is now one of the two finalists and is guaranteed a major label  recording
contract.  You can count on all of his albums having a  good amount of harp
content, and he is damn good from what I've  heard.  It's officially a pretty
big deal for the harmonica  community.  He is going to bring blues harp to a
large new  audience.  Could have the impact of John Popper except Hicks  plays
in the more traditional blues style.  Surely most of you  guys can be happy
about that!

Jonathan Metts"

Hey Jon:

I'm with you.....I'm a big fan of Taylor's....I like his  exuberance, his
mellow tenor voice...and his Michael McDonald/Joe  Cocker sound.  Then..he
started out in the contest by doing Sam  Cooke songs...that's all he had to do to
win me over!  I liked Elliot  too...he had a nice bluesy sound to his voice and
was at home doing jazz  standards...so I'm sure he'll have a good solid career
as well.  If I  remember correctly, you had half-hoped Taylor might not go
too far in the  competition ....just so he could come home and tell you all
about the  gorgeous Katharine McPhee <G> ...because you attended the same  school
he had?

Now it's down to Katharine and Taylor going head to head  for the final.
Who'd have thought it?  I think it's  marvellous.  There's no doubt he'll play
his harmonica on his  albums-- whether he comes in first or 2nd on AI....and I
have a feeling he  just might be the winner...we'll see. But from the beginning
I had  thought the beauteous Miss McPhee had the contest in the bag...someone
 whose voice was good enough to actually duet off-the-cuff on an aria  with
Andrea Bocelli?  Unbelievable.   Still..I'm rooting  for Taylor... I just love
his quirkiness and Soul Patrol.

Some people here seem to have no idea just how far -reaching the  results of
American Idol are.  The votes last night totalled over 50  million.  When the
contestants went to their respective home states  for visits...they were
mobbed.  Taylor was welcomed at the  Governor's mansion...given the key to his home
town...greeted everywhere  by thousands of fans.  It doesn't end with the
win.  The  previous winners (and runners-up)  have sold millions of records as
Clive Davis laid out in excruciating detail last night.  So whether  he comes
in first or not...his records WILL sell...and it's a sure thing  they will be
blues-oriented with harmonica figuring  prominently.

 His fans adore him - American Idol makes instant "stars" out of  the
finalists.  The harmonica WILL be brought to the attention of the  American public
just by his ending up in the top two of this year's  contest.  I would put money
on tons of people going out to buy their  children (or themselves)
harmonicas based solely on their admiration  for him...so it's all good for the harp in
my book.

Elizabeth