Re: Re: [Harp-L] defective Golden Melody?

John Kerkhoven wrote:
> Whenever I have tested this, I have come to the same conclusion
> as Pat Missin: the squeal is on the draw if you are drawing, on
> the blow if you are blowing.

I'm sorry, I seem to have mixed two problems in my answer without
pointing that out.  In the first case, I'm guessing that the squeal
is caused by the reed rubbing against the side of the reed slot.  In
this case, since the squeal doesn't occur during normal sounding of
the 3 draw, but only bending of the 3 draw, which sounds the three
blow (though not exclusively), the offender would most likely be the
blow note, and running the shim down the side would re-center the
reed and fix the problem.  I suppose it would make sense to ask
whether the 3 blow alone exhibits any problems.

In the other case, for which I cited Pat's page and the Stephen
Schneider article on Planet Harmonica for possible solutions, the
ringing would be, as John points out, most likely on draw (since it
occurs during a draw bend).  At any rate, in the latter case I'd
probably use those solutions (nail polish/turbo tape) on both
reeds.  In fact, I'd probably just go ahead and do them all.

Thanks for pointing that out, John.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps