Subject: [Harp-L] Taylor

Betty writes;

"I'm with you guys about Taylor. He has a winning personality that  will help
to make him a star.
The next cut will be  counting every flaw noticed between the two - Katharine
and Taylor.   Taylor will have my vote because I am harmonica predjudiced.
It  will be hard  because they are both super talents.
But,  regardless of who wins......perhaps, some of the larger well known
talent  in our harmonica world could reach out and introduce him to the family of
harmonica talent.
Who knows, he may not have heard of SPAH and  all the other conferences held
each year.
It might just  be the thing he would like to do while climbing the wall of
success.
Of course, his climb is not going to be very hard, now.
I'll just be glad when we can see him perform with the  harmonica.  I'm sure
that will be a treat.  Wouldn't it be great  to have him at the Denver SPAH?
If you're going to dream.....dream  big !!

B Welch"

......that's an interesting point, Betty...about him perhaps not  being at
all aware of the "harp community".  Not about Taylor, but  I've just said
something similar on a chromatic list.  A  few people who post on these lists think
the world revolves around them  and their opinions and that they speak for
everyone who plays  harmonica <G> seeming not to realize that the majority of
harmonica players are "out there" not online, not reading about  harmonicas and
not posting on lists.  Probably not ever having heard  of SPAH.

 It'd be great to eventually have Taylor Hicks write about  his harp
experiences growing up...and whatever possessed him to play his  harp into the
"judgment" room.  That took guts.  He's clearly  someone who has stuck to his own
style of music from the  beginning....showing that he can be accommodating to
other styles, but  always, always ...going back to his Blues/R&B songs.  I have
no  doubt any album of his will reflect the music he so  loves....that is the
reason he has progressed so far, precisely because  the people who have voted
for him ALSO like those same songs and  style.  He is also (as far as I know)
the oldest contestant to make  it this far....at 29.  I can't see the so-called
"handlers" trying to  force him into a teeny-bopper mold.  Especially since
they've  not been his primary fan base.

It's nonsensical to think he won't be "allowed near a harp" as has  been
suggested...since last year's runner-up Bo Bice recorded his album  playing his
guitar, singing his own Southern rocker music.....all under  the auspices of
American Idol....and according to what was said last  night, it's selling
tremendously since December...might even have gone  gold.  From AI's history - they
play to the strengths of the  winners....last year's winner was a young country
singer whose  biggest hit was a religious song...the winner before has  been
nominated for 4 Grammy's on the R&B charts and so  on.

As far as Denver and SPAH goes...it can't happen.  The  American Idols do a
live tour around the country (they have to pay their  dues, lol)....and during
SPAH they'll be appearing somewhere else  every day..from Michigan, to
Kentucky, to Illinois.   We'll just  have to settle for Jason Ricci  in Denver  ;)

Elizabeth