RE: [Harp-L] Taylor Hicks...

That says it all Warren. And speaking of Rob Paparozzi, he will be playing at the Red Bank, NJ Jazz and Blues Fest. on Fri. June 2nd. Hope to see all you harp lovers there.
Dennis Fischette

From: WB <harptime@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: [Harp-L] Taylor Hicks... Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 14:24:41 -0400
I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade but reality tells me that one
American Idol that can blow some decent licks on the harp isn't gonna create
some sort of harmonica popularity explosion. Think about some of the places
our very own Rob Paparozzi has been in the last few years. Playing along
side super stars like Dolly Parton with major TV and radio exposure. There
are many more examples of killer/quality harp being exposed to the masses.
For whatever reason the harp just stays in its niche as a "non major"
instrument (unlike guitar, piano, drums etc.) The Walters & Sonnys,
Butterfield, Stevie Wonder, Toots, McCoy, Dylan, Billy Joel, Popper, Neil
Young, Alanis, Springsteen, Huey Lewis, Norton Buffalo, the Beatles, Led
Zeppelin, many, many country bands,the list goes on and on. Harp has been
exposed to the masses in many different ways and from many different levels
of ability to blow. The harps level of popularity is not going to go off
the charts from Taylor Hicks.

Personally I am glad the harmonica is a niche instrument.  Mega popularity
isn't always a good thing. Fact is that Hohner sold over 25 million
harmonicas back in 1925. Since then the world of popular music has
seen/heard a whole lot of incredible players in many genres. I am not sure
of the exact number today but it is way, way less than 25 million sold /
year. This drop coincides with much population growth to boot!

Besides, Buzz Krantz is the current American Harmonica Idol. Taylor has to
wait 'til Buzz gives up his throne :-)

Warren Bee