RE: [Harp-L] re: names

Yeah, I tend to agree that names are overrated.  I mean, why be creative
when trying to describe a labor of your love?  Take, for instance, this new
harmonica from Tim.  Let's say I'm a decent player, maybe not a top pro
player, but a decent one.  And I don't have $100 for a new harmonica that
might be top of the line.  Let's say I'm kind of a...ah, I can't think of
the name for...somebody like a ballplayer who has been around for a long
time.  I mean he's good, but not a star...what do they call one of those
guys?  Oh, yeah, a journeyman.  So let's say I'm one of those guys, but a
harp player.  If I saw that name "Journeyman" I'd pass right by it.  No,
that's not right...I'd pass right by the name "Custom Marine Band, $50"

But I like Jonathan's style and if I were a new parent, I'd stop worrying
about how to name my kids. It's easy - your first kid would be something
like MU1 for Male Unit 1.  But then for twins, it might be something like
MUT1A, and if the second twin were a girl, FUT1B.  But it's not really
helpful because a lot of people might have that name.  So we could extend it
to how my name might work since Robert is not helpful - MUT3ASACTO53BRNBRN.
That would translate to a male unit (me) the third kid, a twin, born in
Sacramento in 1953 with brown hair and brown eyes.  You've given me a whole
new way of looking at names, Jonathan.  Thanks.

And, of course, why name songs?  How about BEAT#9?  Or better yet,
BEAT#??GGSFGG instead of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Or, LW#?GHS instead
of "Juke"!

But in all fun...I mean, all seriousness, come on, what the heck is wrong
with naming something that you created?  Maybe you don't like it, Jonathan,
but so what?  Okay, I'll fight to the death (well, maybe) for your right to
say what you will about names and anything else, but it just seems a bit
like picking nits.

I personally thought the name was kind of appropriate and not a bad thing to
call it.  But in my new naming scheme above, combined with the analog way of
doing things, perhaps it could be CHMB50Journeyman.  But then we'd probably
shorten it to just CHMB...I mean, Journeyman.  Can you tell I'm a marketing
guy?  I much more enjoy the name Fender Champ than I would FMILT5WAT.

Disclaimer - most of what was written above was written with tongue planted
firmly in cheek, or covering holes.  Nasty emails back at me will be
accepted at the Junk door.

Robert Gaustad