Subject: [Harp-L] Who the h@ll is Taylor Hicks

Tom Costelloe writes:

"Some of us don't watch American telly (because we're not interested  in the
current american pop scene, or because we don't like  manufactured bands
relying on TV promotion rather than ability, or  because American telly isn't
available where we live,) is there a list  or bulletin board to discuss
American Idol so the rest of us can talk  about harmonicas?

Oh, I found one via google, it looks great, see  ya folks

http://www.xanga.com/aidol_chat";

....and while I understand to a certain degree your feeling left out  by this
particular thread...(I still read with interest the threads  referring to
Australian, New Zealand, British,  and other  European and Asian gigs and
events...despite the remoteness of my ever  being able to attend any of them) ....you
seem to be missing the  main point...which is that the discussion would never
have arisen were the  person in focus not a Harmonica player.  Nor is his
band  "relying on tv promotion".  They seem to have managed on their  own ability
rather well as a matter of fact, being quite popular in  their local area.
One of our regular Harp-L posters made mention  here of having heard them play
before his AI tryout, if I remember  correctly.

 Nothing fake or "manufactured" about that.  Taylor Hicks  is a regular
joe...a Blues playing harp player/singer, who caught the  imagination of many of us
precisely because of the unlikelihood of someone  like him even coming close
to winning such a nation-wide contest.

Most of us aren't at all interested in the American "pop scene"  either. I
couldn't name a current pop singer.   We're  watching the show because we like
seeing a musician/singer winning a  recording contract...something I'd wish for
any one of the harmonica  players I admire.

You dismiss the show as "pop" when the last winners have been  anything but,
having come from the Country and R&B genres. And  yet....there are harmonica
players who LIKE pop, and play it on their  harmonicas....so what?  Does that
make them somehow inferior  because you believe the music you like to be
superior?  Why  should anyone have to justify their taste in music?  Our differences
 are what keeps life interesting and us all from boring each other to
death...all in my most humble opinion, of course.

 I found your "chat" room link rather  supercilious.  Especially since most
of the discussion here   focused on whether or not a Blues harmonica
player/singer could win the  finals of this particular contest...and what that might
possibly mean  for the future of our instrument.

As far as the thread is concerned....I didn't previously know there  was a
limit to the bandwidth for discussions on Harp-L, since other  threads have been
running concurrently. I do so appreciate  your letting us know about the
limits, especially since all this time  I thought the owner of the list was the
one to decide which threads  passed muster, on shaky ground or not.  Go figure.

So just what is the harmonica discussion you've been kept from?   I'd be ever
so interested.

Elizabeth