Re: [Harp-L] Memphis Blues

Wow Richard,

I really like your advice regarding solos. Learning
others' solos is a great place to start, but I
especially relate to the idea of the solo as a sort
of story.

I often tell my students to conceptualize the solo
as a story. Every story has a beginning, a middle
and an ending. If you approach it that way the solo
will have direction, structure, and depending on
your skill, emotional power.

Musically, I think a good place to start, is to
relate your solo to some aspect of the song itself
- the song's hook, a repeated theme or a
distinctive bass line. That can be your beginning
as a soloist, your initial musical statement. The
rest is up to you.

Good luck!
Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.