Re: [Harp-L] Memphis Blues

In a message dated 5/24/2006 12:41:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Pic2318834@xxxxxxx writes:
My problem is this.  I never know what to play when playing lead,  I know
most riffs playing alone with songs and doing background to it, but when its
an
improve jam my brain goes numb and I forget most things I can play.  Any help
out there as to how you decide what to play when you get up there?
I believe this lister is asking for a simple and easy answer to work with -
all that stuff about learning scales, arpeggios, intuition, thinking and then
forgetting it, etc etc etc is all very nice, but how about this.....

Learn the blues scale in 2nd position. Be comfortable playing it up and down,
SLOWLY. Then challange yourself to pick out one of the 6 notes of the scale
at will. In other words, go for the 4 hole inhale and actually land on it
confidently. Play a 4,5 slow trill (2 notes that are part of the blues scale). The
most difficult may be learning to play 3 hole inhale at the first bent note
SOLIDLY. This note itself is worth its weight in gold.

Now you are ready to step out and do a solo. The solo can be as simple as the
blues scale played from 6 hole exhale down each note until you get to 2 hole
inhale, or any note or combination of notes contained within.

A killer solo can be playing the 2 hole inhale with confidence, over and over
in a definite punchy approach. Listen to Neil Young's guitar solo on Cinammon
Girl. It is just one note played over and over.

Don't play beyond your abilities. Don't play faster than you are comfortable.
You will sound great.

The Iceman