[Harp-L] Contests in general

Some fellows I play with will not play contests. Most are popularity contests
that never pick the best talent, it's more about putting butts in seats that will
vote for their friend's band.

One we bailed out of was because we heard one of the band members was a boss of like 35 employees
and he "required" all of them to come to the "battle of the bands"...how can one compete with that?
Also the 20 something bands have legions of fans who are single with no obligations beyound
cheering on their firends & drinking bad draft beer by the buckets.
(The club owners love this!)

Not many really great musicians from my area have ever even been in an IBC
(international blues challenge)contest  put on by the local blues society.

But that never stopped us from trying. :-)

Ah well it is what it is... our band made the policy of
2 freebies a year either a charity or contest.

my .02