[Harp-L] re: Memphis Blues

I've been playing sporadic bar band gigs for years. I'm not comfortable soloing
on a song I don't know. I don't like spontaneous. I work out a solo for the
song and pretty much play the same solo every time, sometimes embellish it a
little.

But when you need to fake it at a blues jam: Play the vibrato to the beat (a
hint I got from  Winslow and Chris). Makes you sound real tight. Also, listen
for the snare. It hits hard on the 2 and the 4 for most blues. Play a quick
riff that stops just before the snare hit--dee dee whap, dedle dee whap. Sounds
cool. Sounds tight. Don't need to think too much. I got that tip from Barbecue
Bob.

When you need to fake a country tune: learn your major pentatonic scales.

Also: hard to describe but you need to relax and yet charge headlong into the
solo. You can't pussy foot around.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm