From: "Chris Michalek" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "ChipComcast" <jandkday@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2006 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Showmanship

During my eons of travel throughout outer-stellar space and within, I have
observed that most of the best dressed bands are amougst the worst I have
ever heard and seen. I have also observed that many of the best bands I have
seen wear only t-shirts.

Ever see Bobby McFerrin perform?  Nobody can argue his success as a
musician. He wear a T-Shirt, jeans and can often be found wear sandals or no
shoes at all.  This is a person that makes $32,000 a set.

Huey Lewis is another musician where we can't argue his success as a
harmonica playing musician. He and the whole band can often be found wear
nothing but t-shirts and jeans.

How about the Chilli Pepper? Can't argue with their success either most of
the time they wear only jeans or just socks.

Bela Fleck? Everytime I have seen him he's been in a t-shirt and jeans and
occasionally a wrinkled button up shirt.

I saw Leo Kottke recently and he was wearing two t-shirts and jeans.

While I generally believe dressing appropriately is a good things I don't
think it's a rule that needs to be followed. I tend to think those that
dress up do so to hide defiencies in other areas and this is exaclty why I
am wearing a suit, tie, dark sun glasses, wingtips, leather vest, shiny
belt, scarf and a hat to my gig tonight. If people knew who I really was and
how I really dressed they wouldn't like me and my music.