[Harp-L] re: intonations

On 19-limit Just Intonation, Matt Smart asked:
"Can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvanges of this tuning? I was under
the impression that it was a compromise for 2nd and 3rd position."

It is a very useful tuning--the chords are much more cohesive than 12TET but at the same time the nasty notes (the flat 7ths in the draw, particularly) are not nearly as "off" relative to 12TET as with some of the lower-limit JIs traditionally used. In terms of positions, that depends entirely on what you want to play and how. I tend to feel that unless you really know how to use a lower-limit JI as was used traditionally is hard to deal with in a modern setting-- people are too used to 12TET to know how to adjust automatically. 19- limit JI gives you essentially a full range of use over the most common positions (12-5 or so), IMO.

"I am also looking for a recommended just intonation for playing 2nd and 3rd
position"

See above. More importantly, see below:

http://www.patmissin.com/tunings/tun2.html

http://www.patmissin.com/tunings/tun1.html

http://www.patmissin.com/tunings/tun3.html

http://www.patmissin.com/tunings/tun5.html

http://www.patmissin.com/tunings/tun6.html

And, of course, check the archives as well:

http://harp-l.org/pipermail/harp-l/

Odd, I seem to remember someone asking intonation questions a week or so ago and someone posting the same links from my email address...

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () & Snuffy, too:) `----'