RE: [Harp-L] danecho settings

Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 21:34:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: "steve" <mudharp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] danecho settings
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

>He used the real McCoy of  Echo boxes.   If he was alive today I don't think
>he'd use a  Dan Echo and I've got one and I don't use it either as it sucks
>the life out of anything I've ever hooked up to it.  Don't want to sound
>blah, but it's true.  8<
>steve

I don't recommend people buy the Dan Echo, the Ibanez TonLok has similar
features and a wider range of controls and doesn't suck tone.
But if you already have a Dan Echo it sounds really good when setup
properly.  Either use a preamp before it to match impedance, or modify the
pedal so the input impedance is right.  Even electric guitarists have
experienced the same problems with Dan Electro pedals.
You can do it yourself,
http://www.e-basteln.de/harp/
or you can get Ron Holmes to do it for you
http://www.holmeseng.com/

I use my (modified) Dan Echo thusly
Mix 10 O'clock, Speed 10 O'clock, Lo-Hi set Lo, Repeats fully
anticlockwise, Hi Cut to taste.
  If you want more echo I suggest using the above, then slowly rolling
speed clockwise.
One thing with echo, if you want lots of it, then match the repeats to the
tempo of the song, or double time or quadruple time - hard to do when you
only have a speed dial to work with - which is why I generally recommend
echo with Tap function - you tap on the pedal in time.

 I'm keen to hear people's experiences with Line6's latest range of effects
pedals, on paper they look awesome, but yet to have a chance to try them out.
-- G.