[Harp-L] Subject: Re: Cham-ber Huang and Alzheimer's

A friend of Cham-ber Huang posted on another list that he would be  visiting
him shortly but that he was, unfortunately, suffering from  Alzheimer's.  I
had had no idea prior to this.

I've just read an article containing a mention  of perhaps a gleam of hope
for those of us who have had parents  afflicted with this dreadful
condition....it's too late for them, but  perhaps there's yet a chance for us...or our
children.

"NEW STRATEGY FOR ALZHEIMER'S UNDER STUDY

SAN FRANCISCO, -- A possible strategy for preventing  or
treating Alzheimer's disease and other brain and  spinal
cord damage has been uncovered by researchers. The  study
team, from the San Francisco Veteran  Administration
Medical Center and the University of North  Carolina,
identified several compounds that reportedly  could play
a role in treating degenerative conditions of  the nervous
system. The compounds bind with a receptor  found in the
brain and spinal cord, providing a binding  site in the
body for molecules known as neurotrophins.  But, other
studies show the molecules that usually promote  brain cell
growth can also kill them. Now that the  compounds have been
identified, scientists believe they  could provide a new
binding site, a new means of  preventing damage that neuro-
trophins otherwise would  cause. The study appears in the
current issue of the  Journal of Neuroscience."

For someone as brilliant as Cham-ber Huang...and what he did for  the
chromatic harmonica, it seems particularly a shame that this  awful disease should
now rob his mind of clarity. This news has  made me terribly sad.

Elizabeth