RE: [Harp-L] Tuning a 3 blow reed

Take the plate off. At least it's screwed on and as long as you're not too heavy-handed with the screwdriver the plates go back on just fine. Just retighten the screws progressively. The Lee Oskar kit screwdriver is ideal. It's much less risky than retuning with the reed bent up through the slot. My personal version of Paddy Richter is to tune up 2-draw instead of 3-blow, which suits my Irish music and the single-note approach I have to playing, but I seem to be in a minority.

Steve

Hi All
I have a couple of harps that I am going to be retuned to paddy richter tuning. I have only done this once before on a D Special 20 which worked out fine.
I would like to know how others go about retuning the 3 blow, do you tune it by leaving the reedplates on and poking the reed up through the slot or take the reedplates off and do it that way?

Thanks
  Christopher B