From: G <gigs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] small impedance transformers for Lo-Z CM elements?
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 21:21:41 +1200

Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 17:14:28 -0400
From: JTURNER171@xxxxxxxxxx
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
>Hi, long-time lurker, first post.  I've heard of some kind of small
>impedance transformer that can be used with lo-Z CM elements, fitting
>inside a typical bullet shell, and switching the CM element to Hi-Z.
>I've got a couple of Lo-Z CMs I'd like to use.  Anybody here know
>anything about those, what they are, where to get them?
>Thanks gang,
>James

Whilst I've had a few helpful emails offlist from Harp-L members, I've
yet to be told where you can buy ready made, good quality internal
microphone transformers. The quality depends on the core material, and the
way they're wound.
There are sites that offer excellent quality microphone transformers, but
they're external, and usually way too large for the sort of role we intend
to use them in.
And to reiterate, dear readers, we're not talking about the transformer
found in impedance adapters, they're something else again since the
external impedance transformers are intended for a 600 Ohm source, which is
not what microphone element's raw signal comes at. Eg. The SM57, a low
impedance mic, has an internal transformer to step the signal up to 600
Ohms.
Despite making inquiries here, and on two microphone builder groups, and
despite having a few short and well intentioned discussions as a result, no
one can tell me straight up where to buy these from.
I too look forward to an informed response.
-- G.