[Harp-L] HM reed-plates

Winslow wrote:

"The reedplates for the Golden Melody and the Special 20 are not the
same, <snip> the reeds
themselves are the same sizes and shapes. What he did not entirely
make clear is that the reedplates themselves  differ in size, shape,
and hole punching (Ijust did a direct comparison). One could not be
made to fit the other without huge alteration."

Winslow is absolutely correct in this. However, I think it does somewhat obscure things in one way. In essence, the Special 20, Marine Band and Golden Melody do all use the same reed-plates, but with each tailored to fit the design of the particular model. As Winslow said, the reeds are the same, but also the plate thickness and reed scaling is the same between these models.

The question is actually a bit complex in that while not literally the same reed-plates, they share all the essential qualities. I tend to think of it this way: they are the same reed-plates but stamped in three different manners.

I also fully agree with Winslow about the futility of swapping S20 reed-plates to a GM. This simply doesn't make sense from a logical point of view because they share the same essential properties, the only difference being the GM reed-plates are already tailored to fit that comb and the factory tuning. It's orders of magnitude easier to just learn to retune the small amount needed to put a GM into something else tuning-wise than to swap reed-plates with an S20.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () & Snuffy, too:) `----'