Re: [Harp-L] Questions about Special 20's and Golden Melody's

Winslow Yerxa wrote:
> It would be far easier just to retune some of the reeds
> on a Golden Melody to match the Special 20 tuning.

On the other hand, it is often very useful to modify the plates of a
Special 20 or Marine Band (I prefer to use the Marine Band) to fit
into a Golden Melody in order to get to some of the lower (and higher)
tunings that are not available in the Golden Melody.  I do this fairly
frequently to make low F#, low F, low E, low Eb, low D and high G
Golden Melodies.  It requires a lot of drilling and hand fitting, but
isn't all that hard to do.

For a simpler thing like making a natural minor or adjusting
intonation, as Winslow says, it's far easier to retune the GM.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/