Re: [Harp-L] paddy richter

rainbowjimmy wrote:
> I know I can make a Paddy Richter with a Lee Oskar melody maker
> blow and a regular reed plate on the top for about $45.00. Are
> there any other alternatives?

Take a standard harp and tune the 3 blow up a wholetone.  Should be
pretty straightforward.  It's more convenient if you can remove the
reedplates from the comb to do the retuning, since the blow reeds are
mounted on the inside of the top plate, but you can push the reed
through the slot and support it on top while you scrape/file/sand away
material from the tip.

-tim

Whilst this will probably appeal to next to no people I'll tell you anyway. I tune up the 2-draw instead of the 3-blow. You don't even have to think of removing reed-plates to do this as the draw reeds are on the outside. It takes me two minutes with my cheapie tuner and my little rotary drill. You end up with exactly the same notes available as you do with the usual Paddy Richter retune, though you do lose the dominant chord on the draw at the low end (not an issue to a single-note player such as myself). Similar blow-draw pattern (with reservations) as higher up the harp too. All my 10-hole harps are currently in this tuning for my Irish stuff. As it works a treat for me I thought I'd pass it on.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free! http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/?locale=en-gb