[Harp-L] thoughts on gigs and electrified harp

Survived a gig last night. Had to be at work at 7 am this morning. Got to bed at 1.30. I'm dragging so please excuse my rambling. Here's a few observations:

Practice with your rig. I knew I had to woodshed for the gig, had zero inspiration playing acoustic so I plugged in--something I almost never do. It helped. I was inspired to play longer and I got to work on some electric techniques. I spent a lot of time getting a tight cup and getting a little resonant chamber in my hands by sticking the mic way back down by my pinkie. My wife hates it--it's a little loud.

We usually start out with country western or something not real raucous. Last night we started right out with Gloria. Set the tone for the night.

If you have a good tube amp and you're pushing it a little hard, toungue slapping chords on the low end sounds awesome on rock tunes. I like a really tight cup for this--where you can feel your hands getting sucked in.

Also, I heard a great band with a Celtic harp player playing blues with a Persian band and it made me pay attention to those cool sharp percussive notes. I tend to play long notes. More techniques=more fun.

Folks will tell you equipment is secondary but when you finally get the rig and woodshed with it it's a real joy to play out. And if you go out on the dance floor and jump around like a crazy person with the guitar player and a bunch of semi drunken dancers you can lose 3 pounds in a single night. Must remember not to wear work boots to the next gig.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm