Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Customizing as a Business

I am so grateful for our customizers. Being without sight, i can't do much work on my harps. My wife helps me tune them, but I send them out for anything major. All I use now, are customs. They are definitdely worth the investment, like any good instrument. Thanks to you dedicated souls, who offer this service to us.

bullfrog
----- Original Message ----- From: <bbqbob917@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <mktspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 10:10 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Customizing as a Business

-- fjm <mktspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Matt Stuart writes about getting a lesson in harmonica set-up/repair
from Richard Sleigh.  Having spent some time across a table from
Richard
I can confirm that it's time well spent. If for no other reason than
see how he approaches the problem solving involved with diatonic
harmonica manipulation.  I'll transplant a reed if I'm forced to and
I've retuned an entire harmonica to low A.  Over the years I've
touched
up the tuning on my various customs and I've even bought a composite
comb and assembled a ground up custom on my own devising but I'll
confess that when they work out right I can't tell you why.  That
leaves
the whole process somewhere in the realm of magic for me.

Off the shelf harmonicas are getting better again but the contrast
we're
seeing is more due to how abysmal they'd become rather than how good
they currently are.  What is required to make a superb instrument
customised to an individual's requirements is well beyond the scope
and
capabilities of any normal manufacturing process.  I don't think
Hohjner
or any of the other harmonica manufacturers are missing the boat by
not
serving this market niche.  They sell millions of units in a year.
Beyond an airtight instrument the biggest difference that can be made
in
a harmonica is in the tuning.  Tuning schemes are subjective and
myriad
and good tuning takes time because of the tendency of the reeds to not
stay put when you tune them the first several times.

Robert Bonfiglio talks about the necessity of being able to handle
your
own chromatic set up.  I do think he's correct in that the basics,
gross
reed offset and tuning of octaves and intervals are all well within
the
capabilities of most players.  Maybe it's like being able to change a
flat on your car.  Most times you'll be able to give a quick call to
AAA
but sometimes you'll need to for what ever reason just change the flat
and get on your way.  It's nice to not be totally helpless.  As Robert
points out it's almost impossible to actually hurt a reed by
manipulating it.  If it snaps off it was dead anyhow.  fjm

Hi,
This post is so abolutely dead on the money!!!!!!! What too many
people seem to thick they can get a Rolls royce quality while paying
at a price of a beat up, junk box used Chevy on its last legs, so for
the general public, this is a HUGE reality check here. If the
manufacturers all did what the customizers all do, they'd be paying
just as much, if not more than from a customizer, because of the extra
added production line costs involved, all of which is VERY labor
intensive, and the these very SAME people constantly complaining about
all of the quality issues they percieve will also be complaing about
the cost they have to pay, and remember, who gets the added production
costs passed on to in the price you pay?? YOU DO, like it or not!!!
Yep, once again, a cold, hard, brutal reality check.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com