Re: [Harp-L] elderly harp player arrested etc.

Several years ago when Gordon Mitchell was no longer the president of SPAH,
and the group convention was meeting at a hotel near the Detroit Metropolitcan
airport, an ASCAP official approached the convention and requested a
performance license for all the ASCAP songs (at that time, just about every tune that
played at SPAH was ASCAP).

The thinking at the time was that SPAH would indeed get a license for that
year -- because it had never bothered in the previous 20-some years and didn't
want to encourage ASCAP to start going after the fees for all those early
years. Maybe nobody plays ASCAP songs any more at SPAH conventions. And if they do,
maybe nobody knows you need an ASCAP license.

I don't know what the current status with ASCAP, BMI and SPAH is to date.   I
never heard any more about it after that year in Detroit.

I'm not a copyright or performance rights lawyer, although I own a few books
on the topic. But I think the performance fees (like ASCAP, BMI et al) as well
as the mechianical licensing fee (9 cents (?) per song paid to the
owner/owner/publisher of the song are both designed as a compromise, as I recall from my
reading over the   years.

The two concepts are different but the bottom line is that somebody owns the
song and if you want to perform it or record you have to pay the owner.

What is the compromise?

The original deal was that only the writer/owner could use the song for
public performance and player piano rolls, later recording cylinders and later
discs/ tapes/ CDs etc.

The compromise: if you pay a statutary fee (a resonable rate set by law) then
you could use the tune.

The fact that many amateurs and semi-pros and even some pros in the harmonica
community don't even know about these rates says more about harmonica
community   -- this is, after all, a harmonica list and I don't recall seeing   one
post even suggesting that ASCAP or whatever greedy money grubbing group (Harry
Fox) that was collecting these fees even had the legal right to do so.

Of course, even the big stars like Johnny Cash get caught up and think they
can get away with ignoring the system.
"Folsom Prison Blues" was largely plagiarized from a 1953 song by Gordon
Jenkins, "Crescent City Blues," and once it became a big Johnny Cash hit in 1956,
Cash settled up.
Anybody ever heard of Crescent City Blues?