[Harp-L] Gigs from heck

So last night, as I mentioned in my previous email about playing inbetween keys, was a tough gig.  First off, I only had one practice for this show with a band I am unfamilar with and they expected me to have specific melodies under control.  These melodies were not written out, they sang them to me.  Anyway, I figured them out.

  The main issue was the sound system.  No monitors, 5 microphones feeding back,  one mic stand slipping down in front of the lead singer's face ( he also played the only rhythm guitar so repeatedly correcting the stand was an impossibility)  The mix was horrible and the sound man at the club was clueless.  He also could not reach the pa system to change anything without climbing on a cramped stage and getting in the way of the musicians.

  The leader of the band had been drinking for four hours.  He was forgetting lyrics.  My girlfriend was in the audience and she said she did not know he was drunk, but it certainly affected his actions as the gig spiraled deeper into heck.

  Despite the troubles mentioned, the first 6 songs were originals, the audience filled the place and was supportive and happy.  The musicians played well and I was excited as I created a lot of variety, playing diatonic with overblowing, chromatic and bass harp and playing thru a vocal mic and a bullet with an effects box.  BUT THEN.....

  The set list called for a Tom Petty tune.  Now as good as Petty is, this band is a very high quality original pop band and was doing this tune slightly tongue in cheek.  I asked the leader what key it was in.  A.  I decided to straight harp Dylan it.  It was not working, neither did cross harp.   NO position could have helped. Here's why:

  As my previous email mentioned, the leader's guitar was suddenly a quarter step higher in pitch and questionably out of tune with itself.  At this point, the rest of the band had not figured the problem out.  I do believe it was the MOST out of tune song I had ever been a part of in my life.  Personally, I make a big deal about the idea that music is subjective and therefore no one is ever out of tune, however, my inner critic came up with the subjective opinion that this song was HORRIBLE to listen to.

  After the song, the leader gave a spiel about how he had broke a string and he just didn't feel like fixing it.  He asked the audience if it was okay that he did not replace it since they could fill it the blanks with their imagination.  In my opinion, the horribleness of the previous tune had nothing to do with a missing string, it had to do with the band being out of tune with each other.  To an audience of laypeople, they probably just knew the last tune was unbearably bad and were being told, "I know what the problem is.  How about I not fix it and you have to politely sit through five more songs just like the last one?"

  The audience went balistic.  Finally someone suggested a five minute break.  THe audience mass exodused and five minutes later 10 people politely sat thru five more songs plagued by a band that would not tune to the harmonica player.

  For my part, my girlfriend said I was not able to hide my frustration and keep a poker face, so the audience knew something was wrong.  Doh!  I struggle between wanting to be authentic at all times and the idea that showmanship is important.

  Finally, I offered the leader a ride home.  I always give drunk people an offer and one small speech.  The speech basically states accidents happen.  You could detroy lives with or without a drink, but if you were drunk it is much more difficult to live with.  He denied the ride.  Blah.

  Whew.
  Thanks,
  Michael Rubin
  michaelrubinharmonica.com