[Harp-L] Happy Birthday, John Hammond

Happy Birthday, John Hammond:
For the last several years, whenever Nov. 13 comes around I think of
guitarist-rack harmonica player John Hammond. It's no big deal to me, birthdays are
for kids, but when I learned that John and I were born on the same day back in
1942 -- it added a little zest to an otherwise commonplace calendar
anniversary.

To mark the occasion, I was watching the "John Hammond Paris Concert" (DVD
2004, 1 hour 26 minutes) that came out in 2005. I purchased it when I noticed
that Homespun Tapes had a new John Hammond teaching DVD "The Blues Guitar (and
Harmonica) of John Hammond" ( $30, 1hour 50 minutes) coming out not to long
ago. (I bought them both)

If you play harp in a rack and blues guitar, you might enjoy both DVDs. Both
feature John playing a lot of harp in the rack against an acoustic guitar and
vintage National resonator guitar.

Even if you're only a fan, the same it true. And   if you never plan to pick
up a guitar, you still might benefit from both DVDs. Just watch them for fun.

(My only connection with Homespun Tapes in that I am probably supporting
about two employees on their payroll from all the harmonica, guitar and piano
videos   and DVDs I have bought over the years and in recent months. They fill
three milk crates!)

Phil Lloyd
ex-AHN