[Harp-L] re: what is a key

Gary Lehmann wrote:

"Before I start, I want to remind everyone of the overtone series. One of the
reasons the resourceful American Negro created the blues on the harmonica is
that the equal tempered tuning was grotesque to his/her ears. By bending the
draw notes, an intonation closer to the natural overtone series was
available--blue third being the most crucial. Our major scale pattern is
based on the overtone series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Overtone_series"

No, that has nothing to do with why people started bending notes. Diatonic harmonicas in the later 19th and earlier 20th centuries were tuned pure, ie, by listening for beatless intervals. This is the opposite of being in any temperament, equal or otherwise. The harmonic series is a wonderful thing, but it can be overstressed in import, and this is obviously the case with the above.

In the standard Major diatonic tuning the two lowest chords can both be tuned pure, essentially in relation to the harmonic series because they are both very simple I-III-V chords, which corresponds to the basic part of the harmonic series quite well. As you go farther up the series, you start to get into the problems which would lead to the needs for tempering.

As for why people started using bends, I would guess it was for effect (see train songs and fox chases) and later was expanded to note play. Combine this with the addition of African derived scales (not neccessarily related to the pure harmonic series--the flatted fifth, for instance, is not the same as the pure fifth of the harmonic sequence) used in African-American music and I think a much more likely scenario emerges. The harmonic series was no more beloved by African-Americans than European-Americans, and the blue notes found in African-American music is not really analogous to the harmonic sequence (indeed, much of European folk music was much more aligned with the harmonic series, IMO).

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () & Snuffy, too:) `----'