[Harp-L] Re: amp as monitor

On Nov 14, 2006, at 12:39 AM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Message: 12
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 20:23:25 -0500
From: "Bill Hines" <billhines4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Amp as Monitor w/PA
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

Mike

When you do this, can you hear the amp sufficiently since it's in front of
you? Why not put it behind, feedback?

I tried it behind me and beside me. The best place for me to hear is in front.

Or is it pointed at you in this case,
rather than the audience, like a stage monitor (which is what i'm guessing
now that i thought about it for a few milliseconds, that's what you meant by
"using it like a monitor", duh).

You got it Billy. Since the singers have monitors there is no reason why I can't place my amp
out front to hear also. I don't have to turn the amp as loud as I did behind me. I got a lot of flack
because everyone in the band could hear me but me. I've been using this setup since July and have had
no problems with band mates or hearing myself. Also having it where you can hear best keeps your band mates from
turning themselves up louder so they can hear above you.

Ok, so do you feel like you're losing something in the sound by not having
what the audience hears come through your speaker cone, which based on
discussions I've heard here is an important part of the amp's sound? Hell
I've heard you enough to know you could sound good through a tin can, but I
was curious about that. It could be a bit misleading that *you* are hearing
the true amp sound, and maybe what they are hearing isnt' as good because of
this?

by coming off the amp speaker the sound is as raw out front as it is from the amp.
The key is to get the signal after the preamp stage. I can set up your Sonny Jr. to go thru the board
if you want.

I changed the subject back from "digest" to something more meaningful :-)

Bill

mike