[Harp-L] head vs. combo; sort of a harp question

I know this isn't technically a harp question, but it relates to performing
with one.

I'm new to the amp game and am getting comfortable with my Blues Jr (just
ordered some new tubes and a vintage element for my 520dx [thanks Tim]).

Out of curiosity, I've been researching more powerful rigs.  Some of the
amps I've looked at can come as combo or as a head and I'm curious what the
major benefits of going with a head might be.  At first, I was thinking that
going with a head rather than a combo would allow you more flexibility in
terms of the speakers (number, size, etc.) but than I thought that it might
not matter as you'll always be limited by the wattage of the amp itself.  Am
I correct?  Any other insights for me?

Thanks,

Nick