Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 39, Issue 23

Sloppy Joe wrote:
> There is one advantage to using a more powerful amp in the
> HEAD and seperate CAB  format, that I can think of. It's the
> proximity deal.  You can have the amp head near you and your
> harps, and set the cabinet away from you, or elsewhere (where
> ever it will fit) on the stage. You won't need to worry too
> much about feedback issues to *some* degree. When you use a
> giant combo rig, you can only get so far away from it - and if
> you have to adjust it, you have to mind the feedback. Having
> an amp head (even a low watt one) right next to you, is pretty
> convenient.

Mr. Sloppy overlooks some of his own advice which he gave me months
and months ago when I was designing my own rig.  I had previously
been using a system that had three rack spaces built into the top of
a speaker cabinet, making what was essentially a "combo" amp.  When
I outgrew the three spaces I thought about building a bigger cabinet
with more rack room, but retaining the "combo" feel of having the
speakers mounted in the same cabinet.

Sloppy, in his infinite wisdom, recommended a separate head and
cabinet approach so that I could acquire and use different speaker
cabinets for different performance/practice needs.  My default is a
2x10, but I could use a 4x10, or a 1x12, or -- something I'm dying
to try -- an asymetrical 1-12, 1-8 (or similar) cabinet.  In some
situations I find that I can go completely without a cabinet, and
simply run my lines out into the PA.

In any case, separate pieces means more flexbility, which in my book
is an essential ingredient.

-tim