Re: Subject: [Harp-L] And, In this corner (Jason Ricci)

On Nov 16, 2006, at 2:22 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

Just read an absolutely terrific "review" by one of MY favorite people here, Smo-Joe (Joe Leone).

* Why thank you Elizabeth. I wasn't aware (wink wink) that I was on anyone's list of favorite people

And of course the review is of my friend and favorite Blues/rock/ indie/innovative/exciting harmonica player par excellence.....Jason Ricci. :)

* Jason Ricci? Whose he?..........just kidding lol

What an outrageous experience you had, Smokey....and, ahem....perhaps you'll listen next time Bobbie and I tell you to just "get in the car!" :)

* Well, I got scared. I had heard rumors about her driving. Luckily the rumors were incorrect. She drives like a person SHOULD drive. Control the car, don't let it control YOU.

(Smo-Joe thought perhaps we should save our space in Bobbie's rental to take another of Jason's younger or more blues-oriented fans to Herman's Hideaway for the Harp Blow-Off in Denver).

* Since space was at a premium, I felt unworthy to deprive a real 'head' from a seat. Luckily I didn't take UP a seat, and riding on the tunnel of a PT cruiser convertible with only TWO rear spaces, is something that should only be attempted by someone with a real A$$. I hope I didn't crowd anyone. Mike Polesky did a fine job of helping navigate anyway.

"I" knew he'd fit right in, have a great time and had never really heard the people who were going to play that night in a club setting...

* I had, but that was 45 years ago, and the guys I heard were more Delta style and sort of 'embalmed' (by comparison)

.but as a chromatic jazz player, he wasn't at all sure he "belonged". From this review...I'd say.."welcome to the Club"...and if YOU don't now belong, then no one does.

* I play diatonic, but not like that. More like pop & country western. None of the pyrotechnics.

But....I STILL wanted you to experience a true "JR&New Blood" show as I've experienced them...raw, full of emotion, passion...close-up and personal, rather than in the more sterile environment at SPAH or Buckeye. This has now been accomplished....FINALLY!

* I'm STILL licking my wounds. Jason really killed me. You can visit me at the Charlotte County morgue.. lol

I knew you really liked Jason as a person and player ..had only very good things to say about him ever since Denver..but your writing shows you've now finally SEEN him ...the real JR...as those of us have who love him and know he's the best there is. What a thrill! I only have one quibble....as human as Jason is, I still think he might be from another better Planet than ours :

* Which one? Zagon, Metaluna, Bellus, Zodius 4 ?

Be honest...you hadn't "quite" understood what it is folks like me felt when we show up at show after show of Jason's...and feel such disappointment when circumstances force us to miss even one. You thought of me as somewhat of a "groupie".

* Right you are. I didn't understand. I have never been a groupie. (well maybe Hendrik Meurkens... lol)

Somehow I don't think you'll question "why" again.

* Nope, ain't gonna DO it. I don't want to upset the amalgum plasma that holds the planet in flux.

Jason Ricci is the REAL deal...there is no one else out there like him...and I'm just so excited to hear someone I respect as much as I do you....hear it, see it, feel it...and express it so beautifully on Harp-L.

* I wasn't able to express how I REALLY feel. I'm not that good with words. AND mere words can't express it. It's something you have to feel. You have to LIVE it.

Thanks, Joe.

* Dinada & Prego.......... Smo-Joe

Elizabeth
har