[Harp-L] Painting the wooden comb..

Hi.

I sanded my Marine Band. The sharp edges of the reed plate was hurting my lips and the comb was a bit bumpy and not perfectly straight. I sanded both and now they're smooth as a baby and the harp plays great.

Now. however, the wood is exposed and I'm concerned it might expand with continuous usage. Also, the wood doesn't look good. It got a bit black from the sanding. It's just an aesthetic thing but I want it to look good, preferably black like the rest of the comb.

I went to several hardware stores and all they had was polyurethane, shellac, or paint, all of which is unhealthy to put into the mouth.. The only safe thing I was able to find was an oil that's used to finish butcher blocks, but that won't make the wood look nicer and the oil eventually comes off and you have to keep applying it once in awhile.

I found a water based paint that has a risk level #1 on the label (0 being the lowest, 5 the highest). I searched Google and couldn't find what does that mean. Is it safe to put in the mouth?

Does anyone here know what can I use to finish the sanded area? What kind of paint does Honer use? Should I use that?

I'd appreciate any advice.

TIA!

Zvi