[Harp-L] The best Stevie

Hey David,
                   (Jaazman) Nice to hear you give Stevie kudos.Check out how brilliant he was at just 18 on Eivets Rednow, his unpromoted instrumental album. However, I think the concept (the best) is juvenile. I'm one of the most ardent, adoring fans of his but seriously do you think he could rip off a blazing Irish fiddle tune ? Do you think he can outblues any of the heavy blues players ala Big Walter, or whip out a classical piece ?
  He himself defers to Toots who seems undaunted by harmonic challenges. As amazing and trailblazing as Stevie is, he is ,alas, human and isn't better than everyone at everything.He is the primordial chromatic R&B man,though, and nobody can touch him at his own Wonderful style (there are a few of us nipping at his heels). And frankly the way Clapton is playing now (incredibly well) I don't think Hendrix would intimidate him though who knows how Jimi would be playing were he still alive. I'll unhesitatingly give you Bird though !
                                                                                                 Chris

Chris "Hammer" Smith
Hammer Smith Band
Official Myspace Page http://myspace.com/chrishammersmith