Re: [Harp-L] The best Stevie - overated perhaps

I'm not sure you can say that snippet of yours is improvised as he has been playing that tune since he was in his twenty's. Now I don't have the full version of the tune so I don't know what else he did on the track.

You said:

Stevie's playing is distinctive, no doubt about it. So is Howard Levy's, Coltrane's, Art Tatum's, BB King's, etc. Would you seriously consider saying these guys are not serious improvisers ?

I think what he does is masterfull, he is extremely musical but his sandbox of tricks and sounds is small. Perhaps normal since since he does other things.

Anyways, I think that my perspective is warped because everyone always says Stevie is god so I expect to be wowed every time. To me his session work is quite a few notches below his rehearsed work and others could do better on those tunes.

I'm surprised the Runaway solo is not improvised. There was this story on the web that described the session and it said he had tried various run's which Bonnie did not like and finally he came up with the keeper just then and there.

Pierre.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Planet Harmonica" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>