Re: [Harp-L] The best Stevie - overated perhaps

<< I think what he does is masterfull, he is extremely musical but his sandbox
of tricks and sounds is small. Perhaps normal since since he does other
things.>>

I'm not saying his indiosyncrasies aren't pronounced, and I'm also not saying he's god. Remember his bag isn't improv for improv's sake, he is, after all, a pop musician first and foremost. That being said, I think that while improvisational exploration is not the path that he chose, he is still an exceptionally gifted player, and I know of very few musicians outside the jazz realm who could seemlessly improvise on that chord sequence I pointed you to.

<< I'm surprised the Runaway solo is not improvised. There was this story on
the web that described the session and it said he had tried various run's
which Bonnie did not like and finally he came up with the keeper just then
and there.>>

I don't think a solo in which you switch harmonicas four times over eight bars can be improvised, but maybe that's just me...

Ben FELTEN
http://harmonica.typepad.com