Re: [Harp-L] re: Stevie Wonder overrated

I think the issue is that this list promotes a mythology surrounding Stevie (and its not just on this list) that he supernatural or something. Personally I view him at the Adler/Toots level in terms of his playing, this is a great compliment as I believe both those guys are truly amazing.Compositionally speaking Stevie is probably above them. But like everyone he has his strengths and weaknesses. I think I believed that he was supernatural when I first started listening to him and then later I started being disapointed when he did not wow me on some tracks he did with others; then later I started to find him kind of weak on some solos (compared to good improvisational sax players) and not supernatural. Then when I would hear Mr. Supernatural talk about him and it kind of got under my skin.

Allen said:

   This thread reminds me of those who attempt to proselytize on behalf of
their own religious beliefs. Why can't people just feel secure in their own
beliefs be they spiritual or musical, and respect others who take different
paths? There might be a lot less wars, and a lot less sophomoric threads on

Yeah Stevie can do what he likes, but I think that on this list people are entitled to voice their likes and dislikes and even bring up contraversial opinions, like "LittleWalter is overated". This is a good subject, how does his approach differ from King Curtis or Rod Piazza? What does Rod do that Little Walter did not, what has been added to harp by people like Rod since LW passed away?

Now, it's not a competion, but by bringing in King Curtis or Rod Piazza in the discussion we can learn some new approaches to music and get a better perspective on LW in terms of his place in the musical universe.

I think the real problem is that we get emotional when a person knocks down our favorite artists and sometimes we start attacking the person rather than the idea. Ben Felten wonderful snipet made me realize I was being too harsh on Stevie and his opinion and those of others made has made me rethink my view.

Pierre.