[Harp-L] re: Diatonic-sounding chromatic?

Nick Noviello wrote:

"All chromatics sound to me somewhere between the harp sound I love and an accordion!
Which chromatic can sound closest to a Marine Band, or even a Special 20? Is anyone making a chromatic using diatonic reeds?"

I don't think any chromatic comes particularly close to the sound of a diatonic (though I also don't think they are that far apart to begin with). Probably Bill Barrett is the person who I think has the most raw tone on chromatic I've heard, and he plays CX-12s (modified?). I think it's as much about playing style as anything else in terms of how you make the chromatic sound. When I hear someone like Dennis Gruenling or other blues players using the chrom in 3rd position with lots of tongue-blocking, it is very similar to the way that they make the diatonic sound, IMO.

As for reeds, there is very little difference between the reeds used in chromatics and those used in diatonics (if any). I think the difference in sound comes mostly from two factors (other than playing style): first, the valving of the notes. This makes a big difference, as can be seen when you valve a diatonic. Second, the air leakage inherent in a slider-based system.

Hope this helps.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()   & Snuffy, too:)
`----'