[Harp-L] re: Bushman Torpedo

  >From: "lil Buddha" <ltlbuddha@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Bushman Torpedo???
>It is basically a Low-Z element in a bullet shell. I have one and I like it.
>A few on this list don't like the mic, but I feel that is largely because of
>it's shape. Folks expect a Chicago distortion out of a mic that looks
>like this and that is not what you get. The sound is much closer to the
>Shure SM58 than a Green Bullet. You can get a growl of it, but it is
>definitely not Chicago.

  I also have a Torpedo mic that I picked up for $59 when Bushman discontinued them. I don't usually like to be critical of mics since they are so personal and everyone disagrees, but here are my thoughts on it...

  1) The quality of mine was low. The XLR connector became loose very quickly and eventually came off. It would not tighten down with the set screw. I had to open it up and epoxy it together. Also the chrome finish began to flake off in several spots.
  2) Lil Buddha is correct - its more like a vocal mic than a typical bullet mic. However, connected straight to the PA the sound was thinner than an SM58 or most other vocal mics I've used. But definitely useable.
  3) Connected to an amp, with an impedance transformer adapter to change it to high impedance, it wasn't too bad at all.
  4) It looks very cool. I like the stainless steel look of the finish, and the cool shape. But I don't like the holes in the sides. I think it makes it feedback more, not less as claimed.

  I installed a vintage Shure CM element into mine and its now a very nice mic. To install the CM element I just layed it into the back of the grill and used silicon adhesive to glue it in. The silicon dries flexible and can be easily removed if necessary but holds it tight. It also seals the element to the front so that the holes in the side of the shell are no longer a factor.

  I've seen recently that Nady is selling the same mic under their name. Maybe they've improved the quality. Also, I've heard that Steve at ThunderHarp mics has a mod to make the stock Torpedo sound good. If you have one and are not happy with it, you might contact him and see if he is still doing this. My opinion ... it was a good deal at $59, not such a good deal at the original $159.

  Jim