[Harp-L] reed replacement compatibility

In a message dated 11/27/2006 4:00:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dmfischette@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

TI have  used reeds from different brands of harps many times. The main thing
is to  find a reed with the same width, as long as it is long enough you can
make  it work. If it is to long, you can cut it to the right length.hen tune
it and  if needed, you can add solder. Have fun!

Thanks, Dennis.  Re solder - i ruined a good harp the only  time i tried it.
I guess that industrial size soldering iron was just  too big for the job.
<g>   What size soldering iron do u  use and where do u get them?
  I could be wrong but my logic tells me i might weaken a reed by  removing
metal from the rivet end of the reed.  So since that first failed  experience,
i add a tiny drop of nail polish to the free end of the reed in the  rare
occurrence that i need to lower the pitch, and it has worked well for  me.
  What is your opinion as to the best reed replacement kit, and what  does it
cost?
  Thanks again.
ron