[Harp-L] any signal processing gurus out there?

> Although tube is tube, and has unmodellable sound imho

i've long been curious about this.  i'm willing to accept that current amp
modellers fall short in some way; at least everyone seems to think so.
but i don't see any reason that tube sound should be "unmodellable".
i mean, we can model the Big Bang, turbulent flows in thunderstorms,
photorealistic images, etc.  it wouldn't seem like the response of a few
tubes and relatively simple circuits would be that hard.

so if we accept that current amp modelers don't cut it, the question is why?
is the software too simplistic, failing to take all relevant factors into account?
is the processing too computationally expensive to be put into a low cost
product, necessitating shortcuts?  does the industry have an interest
in maintaining a multi-tiered cost structure, with low cost modelers and
more expensive tube amps?  have they made the modelers too difficult to
configure, so that users can't get them adjusted right?  or is there something else?

i'd love to hear from any signal processing gurus out there, who may have
technical insights.  i'm especially curious about how the difference between
the signal from a cupped mic and a guitar might play into any of the
aforementioned possibilities.  i'm not especially interested in religious
arguments, but i'm willing to be educated if my premises are way off base.

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

But I'm not giving in an inch to fear
'Cause I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it...to someone.