Re: [Harp-L] Duets, Diatonic-sounding chromatic?

<< I share your weak draws/bends problem and I would rather spend my time practicing whole songs or scales instead of trying to perfect draw/bend, trying to properly gap, and replacing reeds/harps that wear out quickly from bending. So, my solution- as I have written about previously -is to hold two harps at the same time and play them together (C and C# /Db). I've been doing it for months and really enjoying it. I've learned a lot of new songs quickly and have even played them in different keys to match the radio or the accompanyist. Try it- it's easy, you'll have your diatonic sound, and there are no valves to maintain. It's easy to remember where the notes are positioned, so sight-reading is easy. >>

What speed (bpm) have you been able to reach in four months of practice? In other words, how fast could you play the chromatic scale (1, 2, or three octaves) at a steady beat with a metronome? I can do some harp swapping for chord vamps, but have not really tried playing melodies since it seems like it would be quite difficult to play fast with proper timing with frequent swaps.

Peace and music,
Dave