Re: [Harp-L] Bennie Moten's "Moten Swing"

Hi
Small world, I was just listening to that about an hour ago (History of Jazz, 1917-1939 - 8CD box).
I'm a diatonic player, so for me it works out best in 12th position. The recording I'm basing this on is about 30 cts. sharp. The tune appears to start in Eb, but by the time it gets to part you're looking at, the key has changed to Ab. There seems to be a brief 'modulation' to Bb, then back to Ab for the end. I'm no expert in jazz either, so there may be another, better way to describe this. The cool thing is 12th seems to handle it all pretty well, even if you want to try some soloing. Take this with a grain of salt, since I'm not really intimate with this tune.
Cheers,
Staggerin' Jim
[Listen to Roots Harmonica at http://www.live365.com/stations/staggerinjim]

----- Original Message ----- From: "rollo bligel" <handsofdoom33@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Bennie Moten's "Moten Swing"

Hello all,

I am by no means a jazz player but with this tune, I've been trying figure out what I believe is the chorus of Moten Swing played by all the horns towards the end of the song. Any tips? Does this song switch between keys? Has anyone played this on the harp? What position would you recommend? All i have is the recording...

Thank you,

R.I.