Re: [Harp-L] Why are there no washers on a harp?

Why no washers? Apparently they are not needed, and make for extra
parts (so do nuts).

I don't know of any manufacturer or customizer who uses washers, and
the use of nuts on reedplates is rare. Yet most achieve excellent
seals.

Your experience suggests one of three things:

1) something not properly aligned when you assembled you LO with the
alternate set of reedplates.

2) Screw threads not fully cut in the new reedplate.

2) A manufacturing defect in the alternate reedplates. This could be
plate warpage, which is easily detectable by careful visual
examination, especially in comparison with the other plates that seal
properly. Or it could be that the screw holes in one or both of the
replacement plates are not correctly placed. Again, comparison with the
original plates could help with examination.

While The screws on Oskars are tight from the factory, theyb do NOT  -
and SHOULD NOT  (Sorry to yell) be tight when you reassemble them , at
least not in the manner you describe.

Often, the threads in the bottom reedplate are not fully cut in the
namufacturing process. It can help to screw the thread-cutting screws
through the bottom reedplate alone, allowing several millimeters of the
screw to pass through the plate. Do this with the reedplate alone away
from the comb and other reedplate. Then reassemble the harmonica.

In assembling the instrument, turn the screwdriver with only your
fingertips. When your fingertips encounter significant resistance,
stop. This is known as finger tight. Any tighter and you risk buckling
the reedplates and causing leaks.

I would suggest that you threadcut the new reedplates as described
above, and try aseembling them with more than one harmonica, checking
for proper alignment of plates and comb. If the problem follows the
reedplates around, then you know where the problem lies.

Drilling out the comb could cause it to crack. If you want to try nuts
and washers, I would suggest you use the same diameter and thread of
screw, but in a longer length. Just drill out the bottom reedplate
screw holes in a lsightly larger size to get rid of the thread and
allow easy passage of the screw shank.

The American screw size that matches the metric diameter and thread in
the Lee Oskar reedplate screw is 1-72. This should be available from
houses like McMaster-Carr in brass or stainless steel in a variety of
lengths, head shapes, and slots, together with nuts.

By the way, Lee Oskar company has two permanent employees - Lee and his
wife Leslie. There is no bloated corporate structure and Lee is very
responsive. That said, he's also very busy with things other than
harmonica marketing (the manufacturing is done in Japan by Tombo). He
may be on the road, etc., so cut him a little slack if he doesn't
respond right away.

Winslow