[Harp-L] It is not all about you.

I was browsing CDs in a local store and came across a CD by a modern blues
harp legend. I had none of his solo stuff and he gets such praise, I bought
the disc without listening to it.
Slipped in the player for the drive home, and I was shocked. I could have
been listening to a self-published, garage mastered effort instead of an
album by an acclaimed player with much commercial success.
I was not the harp playing, that had tone to die for and excellent
technique. It was the rest of the sound. my first reaction was the backing
band was awful  But before rushing to judgement, I took the CD home, put on
some very good headphones and really listened. His voice and harp were
clear, the harp was full and rich. The rest of the band was muddy and the
levels were too low. The band could play, but whoever mixed it wanted the
harp player to be the focus. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself. His
band after all. But this can be done without sucking the life out of the
rest of the band. To my ears, it brought the whole record down. Was it ego?
Well intentioned but misguided producers? I do not know. I do know this; I
am selling this disc on my next trip the the used music store.
Why do I bring this up? A lot of discussion on this list is devoted to
promoting the harmonica. I don't think this approach does much for that
goal.