Re: [Harp-L] Rhythm Willie

James;
           For info. on Willie, have a look at this page on  Pat
Missin's site: http://www.patmissin.com/articles/AHN5.html
           There are links to other sites with further inf.
           I would never have thought to compare RW to Popper. Popper
is an in-your-face rockhead; Willie is a sweetly subtle jazzer. (my
taste is implied here; but they are very different types of players,
nevertheless)
           If you like this kind of thing, check out the great Blues
Birdhead, who plays in a Louis Armstrong influenced style and is
credited with the first recorded overblow, on 'Mean & Low Blues'
(actually a take on Armstrongs 'Savoy Blues') in 1929.
           But yeah, Rhythm Willie is great!
RD

>>> "James" <wasabileo@xxxxxxxxxx> 6/10/2006 11:56:03 >>>
Folks: Does anyone have any information about an obscure harp player in
Chicago called "Rhythm Willie"? I know his real name was "Willie Hood"
and I have a copulation on the German "Wolfe" Label with 5 tunes by
Rhythm Willie and His Gang. I swear he was doing John Poppa before John
Poppa and he attempts overblowing 40+ years before Howard Levy. He does
not have the name recognition as Sonny Boy I or II or Little Walter but
he had undeniable talent