Re: [Harp-L] SP-20 Edges

Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 20:35:08 -0400
From: "Cliff Hall" <12barz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] SP-20 Edges
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

8<
>I've now been so spoiled by the rounded contours of the tubolids that
>the edge of the SP-20 feels uncomfortably sharp in the web of my
>hand.  Part of this is probably due to something like my having
>developed a bad habit of holding my harps more tightly than necessary
>- I have to watch my tendency to tighten muscles when applying mental
>effort.  Okay, I'll work on that. Nevertheless, I wonder if anyone
>else has noticed the sharpness of the SP-20 comb's lateral edges. The
>front edge is nicely rounded, but not the sides. I guess Hohner has a
>higher regard for lips than for hands.  Has anybody tried to smooth
>out these edges?  If so, how did you do it?  Sandpaper, emery cloth,
>dremel, eye of newt?
>
>Cliff

Yes, I've noticed.  I've noticed since the first time I put one in my
mouth, a lot of diatonic harmonicas are quite sharp or rough around the
edges.  I offer custom Special 20s, and one of the things I do is round off
all the sharp bits.   I round the corners and edges using a PC2 Shofu
Brownie on a rotary tool set to a low speed - it's very easy to chew up
plastic with these things - one problem spot is on the left and right sides
of the comb where there's sometimes a seam near the mouthpiece.
  Then I use a high grit Wet and Dry to take of any other uncomfortable
features, then use the back of the W&D to polish all he affected areas to a
smooth surface. I also use the shofu browie around all the edges of the
covers.

Cheers,
-- G.
http://harmonica.7p.com